Saturday, June 21, 2008

"we" don't get fired...we quit!

Am I alone when I see "them" in the office on their first day of work, and I am immediately annoyed.

Am I alone when I know that "they" will reinforce almost every stereotype my hardworking professional race have tried to do away with.

Am I alone when I say I immediately text my close circle of professional friends to commiserate about what is about to happen again at work.

Am I alone when I say it is a swift easy countdown to the day the bullshit will start and I am cringing at my desk because I knew it was coming anyway.

Am I alone when I say that early in my career I shared some of "their" characteristics and was one of "them" in a sense but have tried to learn from my mistakes as I've burned professional bridges.

Am I alone when I yearn to pull "them" aside and put "them" down with the drama that is inevitable for us because the CORPORATE SET OF RULES are never tangible but definitely do exist and will impact our employment status and psyche.

Am I alone when I tell you that in the middle of my career I became a mentor to "them" and attempted to teach "them" by sharing my corporate experience and the corporate pitfalls we always fall into, to only have "them" turn against me.

Am I alone when I say I tried exposing the corporate culture they've willingly signed up for but don't know exist just to be told I am not down and a freakin sellout.

Am I wrong to defend myself and calmly state, "you don't play for the Yankees in a NY Knick uniform idiots!" and then secretly wait for their crash and burn scenario to unfold.

Am I alone when "they" decided that I am not down with "them" and decide to shun and diss me, of course never realizing that I have already "shun and dissed" them.

Am I alone as I check off the mental list of infractions that "they" commit because they have never learned corporate professionalism.

Am I alone when I do extend the olive branch, have the out-of-the-office conversation with "them" alerting them to the pitfalls to only have them ignore me and cause the ruckus that I knew was coming anyway.

Am I alone when "they" stop coming to the office and didn't give 2-weeks notice because "we don't get fired...we quit"!

Am I alone in this knowledge?

No comments: